Contract for kids : I love my dog
While searching on the web the other day, I came across this wonderful site that has been designed especially with kids in mind and do believe that every parent and child with a dog should have a look. There are tricks, games, jobs for kids to do with their dogs etc, etc. In fact there is so much content on offer that I would need more than a full page to cover it all!
I especially love the contract below. So often our children promise that they will look after a dog if Mum or Dad will buy them one and then that never happens, or only for a short period of time. By asking your child to complete the following, it may make their commitment stronger and press upon them that a dog is a live animal, not something to be played with for a short period of time and then the chores left to poor old Mum or Dad.
Just print this out, or even better, tape it to the fridge to remind the child, on a daily basis of the promises made. Enjoy, thanks Scotty
I, _____________________ , promise to take care of my dog, ________________ , during his/her whole lifetime. I will teach my dog to trust me by treating him with love and respect. I will be kind, gentle, and generous to my dog at all times. I will be responsible for providing him with the things that he needs to be healthy and happy. I am making this commitment to my dog.
- I will give food and water to my dog in a clean dish everyday.
- I will make sure my dog has shelter from hot, cold, and wet weather.
- I will make sure my dog sees a veterinarian for shots and checkups.
- I will provide a collar and ID tag for my dog to wear at all times.
- I will keep my dog from running loose in the neighborhood.
- I will make sure my dog gets obedience training so he behaves well.
- I will keep my dog clean and brushed and lookin' good!
- I will spend time everyday with my dog playing, or going for a walk. I will always protect my dog from people or things that might hurt him.
Your Signature_________________ Date____________________